twitter

Sunday 16 June 2013

Royal Ascot Day 1

I've been off for a while and only been posting on Twitter due to there not being that much going on betting wise. However it now comes to my 2nd favourite race meeting of the year. The Tuesday of Royal Ascot is always a day I look forward to, as it's generally profitable and the racing is top class. 

Anyone that has been following me on twitter would have seen some of the below posts in recent months;

": South African-trained King's Stand favourite Shea Shea has arrived in Newmarket."
4 weeks to Royal Ascot and the odds on Animal Kingdom have started to shorten.
So Shea Shea wins The Kings Stand at Royal Ascot then
good shout mate, get half the profits on the Animal Kingdom Shea Shea double
Just had a little more on the Animal Kingdom/Shea Shea double at 13/1


I think it's fair to say which camps I will be in on Tuesday, I'm on the Animal Kingdom & Shea Shea double at an average of around 15/1 as well as a few Animal Kingdom singles at 11/4 and upwards. My one regret is not taking more of my own advice when I sent a friend of mine an email with these highlighted horses in it, as I would be sitting on a nice ticket at 134/1.


That's enough about the Ante-Post positions now as those prices are long gone. We now need to make some money throughout this week and there are some excellent races to look forward to.

This is Royal Ascot so there'll be big prices around on the morning and may be best to wait until then

The Queen Anne - 14:30

As you can see from the above, I'm on Animal Kingdom and I've seen nothing to change my mind. This horse has won a Kentucky Derby and the Dubai World Cup. He probably would of won The Breeders' Cup Mile too, if he hadn't found trouble in running.

The interesting thing to take from that race at Santa Anita is the form line with Excelebration. Anyone who was following me last year would remember me saying that Frankel was the best miler of a generation, but Excelebration was easily 2nd best over the last two years. This thinking was rewarded when I backed him to come 2nd to Frankel in this race last year and also to win the mile race on Champions day. Animal Kingdom finished two lengths ahead of him at the Breeders' Cup so surely that is the best piece of form in the race.

If Animal Kingdom runs to form he should be winning this race by about 5 lengths. He has the stand side rail for assistance and I really can't see how a horse who has only finished outside the top two once in eleven races, cannot win, unless he under performs. In reality he should be a 4/6 shot max, so there is some mileage in the current 8/11 on offer.

I'm not getting involved again as I'm already on, but if I wasn't I'd be happy get on again or have him as part of my multiples.

Back Animal Kingdom at 8/11 - General


Kings Stand Stakes - 15:05

I'm not a massive fan of European sprinters, I try to support them but find it difficult as they're not that good. Last year I backed Japanese raider Little Bridge in this and he won at 12/1. This year we have a South African sprinter who broke the track record at Meydan on March 9th then broke his own record on March 30th.

Shea Shea is a class sprinter who has won 10 from 19 races with two second places and 3 third places. On official ratings, his only rivals are Reckless Abandon and Shamexpress. Shea Shea likes to leave his challenge late with a strong burst of speed; as long as the hill doesn't trouble him too much he should be able to pick off the rivals around. Reckless Abandon will likely be raced up with the pace however with Sole Power, Spirit Quartz and Swiss Spirit also drawn in the teens, I think it's likely that they will hamper each other by trying too hard to cover the others moves instead of running their races.

Due to me already having this horse in a number of doubles with Animal Kingdom, I won't be backing it again unless Animal Kingdom is beaten.

Back Shea Shea at 2/1 - General


St James Palace - 15:45

If Dawn Approach had ran in The Derby he'd be odds on for this race. He got knocked in the stalls at Epsom and never settled, however he's still unbeaten over a mile. I was at Ascot last year when he won the Coventry and immediately turned to my mate and said "Guineas winner". He went on to win the Guineas last month by 5 lengths. On that piece of form his only challenger is Magician. Toronado was put in his place at Newmarket and, to me, doesn't look like he has enough speed to see off the top two in the market.

The way I'm looking at this race is simple. What price would Dawn Approach be if he hadn't of ran in The Derby? My answer to that is he'd be odds on, so I'll be taking the odds against.

Back Dawn Approach at 11/8 - Bet Victor

** I would also advise having a treble on the above three at almost 11/1 with Bet Victor**


Coventry Stakes - 16:25

Hannon and Hughes have a ridiculously good two year old record. Over the last five years Richard Hannon has an 18% strike rate with two-year olds;

2807 Runners
510 Winners
18% Strike Rate
419 2nds
308 3rds
310 4ths

Richard Hughes record is even better;

1078 Rides
281 Winners
26% Strike Rate
192 2nds
107 3rds
97 4ths

On derby day I backed Thunder Strike on this basis, and would be backing him if Hughes had chosen to be the jockey. Richard Hughes has, however, chosen to go for Championship so that's my selection here.

Championship made his racecourse debut last month and looks like he'll come on for the run. He won that Newbury race despite starting slowly and not finding a clear run. With the record of this trainer/jockey combo and the way he quickened last time out, he has to be the bet in this race.

Back Championship at 11/2 - Betfred/Totesport

**I will also be backing all four of my selections at just under 76/1 with Betfred/Totesport**




No comments:

Post a Comment